Hacking into the mainframe circa 2004
I am an innovative and creative thinker with a passion for challenging work in cloud, full-stack software development, design, UX, and open-source technologies. I’m a strong communicator and presenter with hands-on experience building robust web applications, modern front-end UIs, complex API integrations and realtime applications that communicate across a multitude of technologies. I am comfortably versed in continuous integration and test-driven development practices.
I also love reading, creating generative art in Processing, making music and playing video games, here are some quick facts:
- I like to play competitive first-person shooters like CS:GO and Overwatch and I practically grew up on Doom and Unreal Tournament 99 (feel free to add me on Steam: PhraktureMusic)
- I’ve been making progressive breaks, liquid drum’n’bass and IDM using Cubase under the artist name Phrakture since 2006 and have recently begun making more indie electronic music under the artist name Nafeu
- I make youtube videos for performances and tutorials here and silly gameplay highlights here
Follow me on Goodreads to see what I’ve been digging in to lately and feel free to recommend a good book while you are at it!
* List of proficient skills with deeper focus in bold
Full Stack Developer - Pelmorex Corp., Toronto, Ontario – January 2019 to Present
- Use React (incl. ES6, Functional Components, Await/Async, Context, and more), Redux, Lodash, Material UI, MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Redis and various other modern full-stack technologies to perform bug fixes, optimizations, bug tracking and comprehensive feature implementations on EngageFront (DSP) for Console Team
- Participate in Scrum/Agile development life-cycle with related scrum ceremonies (estimation, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc.) and manage project work with JIRA. Collaborate with Data Science, Bidder and Infrastructure teams
- Build and maintain internal development scripts, easy to use CLIs for various development task automation (incl. application deploys), documentation and complex realtime monitoring tools
- Develop a deeper understanding of AdTech industry (general domain, reporting, DSP/DMPs, exchanges, publishers, advertisers, performance metrics, ad operations, etc.)
Software Developer – DIVE Networks, Toronto, Ontario – Sep 2016 to Sep 2017
- Used Botkit, Slack API (Web, RTM and Events), Python and Node.js to build a secure chat bot server and Slack integration that interacts with DIVE’s content management system.
Software Developer (RA / Part-Time) – University of Toronto, Centre for French & Linguistics, Scarborough, Ontario – Aug 2016 to May 2018
- Used D3.js, MEAN stack, Heroku and various open-source tools to build and maintain multiple educational and
teaching tools for use by students and faculty in the Linguistics Department. This includes a dynamic syntax tree
builder, a lecture presentation app with real-time audience interaction/participation features, an interactive IPA feature
explorer and more.
Bluemix Specialist – Ecosystem Development – IBM Canada, Markham, Ontario – May 2016 to August 2016
- Prototyped and built demos using IBM Bluemix (PaaS) and Watson APIs for use in presentations, workshops and general tech demonstrations.
- Ran workshops on IBM Bluemix internally and externally at hackathons, tech meetups, code schools, university startup incubators and client meetings.
Full Stack Web and Application Developer – Three Point Turn Inc. Toronto, Ontario – Jun 2014 to Jan 2016
- Performed extensive front-end and back-end development work on ASP.NET MVC5 web applications applying responsive front-end design practices, Service Oriented Architecture, using REST APIs, participating in client demos and collaborating with senior developers
- typing-test - An experimental typing test built with React and a Neumorphism UI design style.
- oavp - An open-source audio visualization framework for Processing.
- gryt-focus - Socket.IO and jQuery based “deep focus” timer built to run as dedicated instance on a Raspberry Pi.
- Minimal eLearning - A proof-of-concept eLearning solution which turns markdown files into lecture slides with interactive quizzes.
- nafoodle.io - Experimental multiplayer party game starter built with React, NodeJs, and Socket.io.
- pseudo-storage - A simple image uploader for dev use only. Built to provide a temporary CDN-like image storage solution to assist in testing or developing a separate application.
- Groop Think - Multiplayer party game built with Node.js, Express.js, Socket.io and jQuery.
- GRYT Skill Tracker - A simple gamification and tracking system for skills that are being learned or practiced.
- Syntactique - A D3.js based sentence/syntax tree building tool
- CollegeFalafel.com – The website for College Falafel, a mediterranean eatery known for Halifax donairs & housemade desserts, located at College and Ossington.
- CFL Study Tools - Various prototype/concept webapps for the Linguistics department at the University of Toronto, Scarborough.
- CFL Interactive - Interactive learning system for presentation slides, real-time student feedback, voting, YouTube video playback and live quizzes during lectures.
- Content Fountain - Content idea and hashtag generator for social media brand growth.
- TextTransmute - An experimental Sublime Text 3 plugin that allows you to mutate selected text in a style inspired by VIM, Emacs and unix shell programming tools.
- D3.js Experiments - My personal collection of D3.js experiments and sandboxing.
- Node Socket Seed - A starting point for basic Node.js/Express.js applications that use Socket.io and a simple Express API. Ideal for proof-of-concepts.
- Angular GraphQL Prototype - A basic Angular 1 SPA starter that is useful for prototyping static sites with minimal MVC & API functionality.
Volunteering and Community Involvement
Tech Enthusiast, Organizer - Introspective Code, Toronto, Ontario – August 2014 to Present
Nourishment Volunteer – Recreation Therapy – West Park Healthcare Centre, Toronto, Ontario – August 2013 to December 2014
Honours Bachelor of Science - Double Major in Computer Science and Linguistics, University of Toronto
I’ve been producing progressive breaks, progressive house, drum & bass, chill and IDM/Glitch since I was 9 years-old (2004) and have continued with my passion for music ever since. I’ve put out 70+ original works (including 5+ album/ep releases) under the artist name Phrakture and have gotten support from artists/DJs like Jaytech, Solarstone, Matt Darey, Andy Moor, and more (here is a shoutout from Solarstone himself).
More recently, I’ve been releasing indie-electronic, nusoul, chilltrap and chillwave music under the artist name Nafeu and have had my work featured on Chill Masters.
I’ve done some contracted work for Flixel, producing music for their videos Lindsey Adler Shoots a Wedding Cinemagraph and The Flixel Startup Story. I’ve also contributed a custom percussion pack for ORION: Step Sequencer, created a ton of midi controllerism, beatboxing, performance, and production tutorial videos on my YouTube channel youtube.com/phrakture, and released a few free sample packs on Freesound. I have also been featured on OverClocked Remix for my remix of “Foregone Destruction” from the Unreal Tournament Soundtrack.
My main DAW is Cubase but I heavily incorporate Ableton for sound design. I specialize in warm melodies, deep 5th & 7th chord atmospheres, glitch edits and layered basslines. I’m a frequent user of some of the classic Native Instruments VSTs like Pro-53, FM8, Reaktor, Battery, Massive, etc. I also love incorporating live guitar, vocals, and field recordings.
You can check out some of my work at the following links:
Personal or Software Related: email@example.com
Music Licensing or Remix Inquiry: firstname.lastname@example.org